Wednesday, August 11, 2010

BP (NYSE:BP): "To Kill" or Not "To Kill"

With BP (NYSE:BP) being so close to reaching the relief well, they now have to stop drilling due to approaching storms. Thad Allen, retired Coast Guard Adm. said they are expecting a delay of two or three days in completing the relief well.

There has been no oil spilled since the placement of the temporary cap was placed on top of the well in mid July. The crews will put into place a temporary plug to protect what they've already drilled. They are only lacking another 30 feet until they'll be done. Workers won't be going back to land.

Allen has been insisting for days that BP go ahead and start the bottom kill. On Tuesday he changed his tune, and stated that more testing needed to be completed before a decision could be made.

Allen said, "I'm not sure we know that. I don't want to prejudge whether we are going to do it or not going to do it. It will be conditioned based." He did state that there's a "very low probability"
of the bottom kill not being done. "We will let everyone know" if it changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment